Saturday, January 05, 2019

Changing Chennai: Scars of Development

Changing Chennai: Scars of Development



d.rajakumar@yahoo.com

After 2007, I am visiting Chennai in 2019, almost after 12 years, this Chennai is much different from what I had seen before, more crowded and more dirty and more unhygienic.

I travelled by trains (still by MRTS, not yet in the Metro), by buses and by share-autos. Trains are crowed in the mornings and evenings. Buses mostly run dry, except for some buses plying to remote places which carry village names (e.g. Chemmanchery).

I lived in Chennai from 1996 to 2007 and during this period I lived at Triplicane, and Thiruvanmiyur and worked for IBIL Tech Ltd, Adyar (which was earlier called Ignifluid Boilers India Limited, and the company ceased to exist by the year 2000) and Computers International (now CI Global Solutions), at Besant Nagar and SRP Tools, Taramani. Chennai went into the changing phase (or metamorphosis?) by 2004. On 03-Jan-2019, I visited part of Adyar, the Gandhinagar, First Main Road. I went looking for Odyssey, the book shop. Most of my mornings and evenings were at Gandhinagar, First Main Road, which was a very lively road, with parks (of course with large trees) on one side and shops on the other side. The parks died to give way to development, the larger roads and flyovers. Cars were frequenting and I could also see a few two-wheelers, but I could find none other than me walking on the road.

We used to lunch frequently at Hotel Traffic Jam and I loved the Fish Briyani (and I have not tasted a tasty Fish Briyani anywhere else), while we worked for IBIL Tech Limited. This hotel now had disappeared. Odyssey was another place I used to visit frequently, I love to be in the presence of books long before the internet era (presently, Amazon.com is a good bargain to buy books, though I hate foreign invasion into the Indian market). My good friend Dr. Raveeinderan (a technologist at IBIL Energy Systems) used to say, that he wished he could assimilate the knowledge from all the books by just inhaling from inside a library and I wished the same every time I visit Odyssey. In those days, I was excited to enter into Odyssey, for the smell of the books. This time, the ambiance wasn’t enchanting, it was rather gloomy, I found a few people at other sections, but I found none browsing a book.

I travelled from Adyar to Guindy by a share auto. (It seemed that people presumed a charge of Rs.10 for the travel, I also expected the same.) A lady who got down near Indranagar railway station gave Rs.10 and the driver demanded Rs.15. At the same place two men got in and what the charge is, the driver said Rs.20 per head. They got down immediately saying they will travel by bus. Another person, at Madhyakailash came to get in, but upon the cost he also preferred to travel by bus. At Anna University, two girls got in without asking any question on the cost of travel. From economic point of view, I thought the driver would have earned more if he had slashed down the cost by 50%, he actually lost 50% of his earning by maintaining his defined cost. Buses ply in plenty between Adyar and Guindy and next time, I wouldn’t prefer a share-auto.

I went to Dr.VSI Estate on 04-Jan-2019, to refresh my memory about the place where I had worked for both CI.COM (P) LTD and Computers International. I preferred a bus travel from Guindy Industrial Estate to SRP Tools via Velachery. The road from Raj Bhavan to Velachery had changed (in fact beyond reorganization) a lot by widening itself and packing in more traffic. I was looking for Rane Madras, a company my friend VB Ravishankar (or shortly called by my other friends Rane Ravi) worked before he changed his career to software development and left to USA. Rane Madras remained as it was, but on either side of it has housed gigantic buildings. On moving further, Sutherland’s building was the only one I could recognize. The Velachery bus stand had the same structures but was forced to be smaller by the construction of a flyover. Venketeswara Boli Stall had changed its side, and the entire place had gone unrecognizable. I could recall the names TANSI Nagar (where I had two of my friends from IBIL lived; Sowmya isn’t anymore in the world, I always will remember for her skills, talents and exposure; Lakshminarayanan was another person who was in the Engineering Drawing section, he must be there there), and Baby Nagar (where we used to have our lunch at a mess run by an ex-IITian, most of the days while I was at CI before my marriage) on the way to SRP Tools bus stop.

Once a prestigious and glamorous architecture, the American School wore a sorrow appearance, and the environment around it was also gloomy. Sooner I got down when the bus stopped at the signal (of SRP Tools). Rajiv Gandhi Road (earlier Old Mahabalipuram Road or fondly called as OMR) gives a beautiful appearance (way back in 2003, when I reached that place there was a shabby bus-stop behind which there was the dying SRP Tools, now there is an elegant building), a green corridor after removing large trees on the roadside to widen the road.

I crossed the Velachery road to get an access to Dr. VSI Estate (I don’t know if anybody would remember this name). Except for a new bitumen road, and a few new buildings, Dr. VSI Estate looked the same when I left the place in 2006, but I was not sure where to find CI Global Solutions buildings (I guessed there must be two buildings). I entered the gate near the SBI branch, and immediately after few steps, I saw a red brick coloured building, which kindled my memory of having seen the 3D model in 2006, guessed it could be the office I was searching for. Well, yes, it had a small name board carrying the name of the company with the bold C and I in red colour and a globe inside C in blue colour.  It seemed to be having a live fence over barbed wire (actually my mind was filled with memory and hence I couldn’t observe), I even imagined there were leaves over the board hindering the entire view of the board. It had a large parking space with few bikes lined up. I was wondering about what happened to the previous office that had been constructed in the year 2003, which was in the other side of the road.

I then returned back by another bus to Guindy through roads I have never been through earlier. There seemed to be more vehicles than people on the road. The Velachery – Taramani road has many unguarded and unsecured crossings, and the traffic was very slow. Most people were looking down at their Smartphone screens and never bothered about anything happening outside them because they seemed to believe that if anything that needs to be noticed, that can be viewed in the Smartphone screen sooner through any of the social media.

A few abstractions of my thoughts on this visit are summarized below:

  • Most Tamil women had exhausted faces, only youth had some energy, but everyone had some worry hidden behind the cheerful faces (or behind the beard of the youthful men folks).
  • It seems that the locals (or Tamils) work in low profile jobs where as North Indians are in high profile jobs.
  • Most families (of both employed husband and wife) prefer not to cook, I could see busy delivery boys of Uber Eats, Swiggy and Zomato contributing to increasing the traffic.
  • Traffic police is on duty at most junctions of Velachery, but most people never cares the traffic rules (needs an appreciation instead, as they drive a little slowly and carefully, without caring the traffic rules).
  • At places having flyovers (especially at Guindy), to cross a place of few steps, one has to travel few kilometers and of course invest more time. Development seems to be a costly affair.
  • The government has heavily invested (or I can say dumped) money on the construction of the Metro. The construction would have benefited the construction companies and construction material manufactures (and of course life to a lot of North Indian low profile workers), in my opinion, its waste of money of a great order. The concrete structures wear a sorry look, the escalators give a grand look, and anyway it is not easy to use as MRTS.


As a one line summary, Madras changed to Chennai in mid 1990’s, and Chennai is trying to wear a modern face; the cosmetic surgery of modernization has only left scars of development in the face of Chennai, instead of beautifying it.

No comments: