Monday, June 26, 2006

Anna University – Non-technical Manifestation

When Dr. Balagurusamy banned the usage of cell phone in the campus of Anna University, the institution for creating technology innovators, I relatively lost the interest in the sprits of the great country. I thought of writing on this topic long ago and after deliberations in the newspapers I dropped my idea to express my views.

Today (25-Jun-06) I had an opportunity to visit the university by accompanying my brother as he had to take up his entrance exam for the Architecture course. I was welcomed by the pungent odor from the men’s toilet on entering the College of Engineering (close to hall number 10). My brother who has lived all his life in village, seeing the city for the first time, and having great admiration for this university made remark was “Autonomous colleges in the southern district managed by a Christian management has better toilets. Plumping is poor and urine sprays on our leg from the urinal. I did not expect this in Anna University. My teachers always asked us to develop our ambition to enter into Anna University. But now …” Educational infrastructure could be poor, but shouldn’t the administration take care of this too.

The stray dogs (I observed more than 10) roaming around there made a fearful environment (may be they thought if deer could roam around at IIT, lets have stray dogs at Anna University).

I saw 3 clocks in the tower on the College of Engineering. While 2 clocks showed 2:45 (it was already 10 min later to IST) the third clock on the left showed 11:38.

A lady suddenly barked on the parents waiting (sitting) at the porch close to hall 10 (opposite to parking location P5) to go and stay away stating that one costly cell phone (cell phone again!) was lost by one of the candidate.

Feeling thirsty, I went to the canteen to get some carbonated drink or at least some water. The person at the counter was busy counting the collection (there was a display that the canteen will function for half day) and said the canteen is closed for the day.

I asked the security person standing near by where I could get some water. He complained that that is the problem in Anna University on Sundays. (He had his own problems) he said that on Sundays you don’t get anything to eat or drink inside the campus, one has to go to Korattur or Guindy or CLRI to get something. There must be some humanitarian office staff, who may help me getting some water. I asked one uniformed staff, and he was really human and got me some water from a locked room.

The university administration can ban smoking and using ingredients made of betel nuts and tobacco inside the campus instead of banning cell phones. I saw a used pack of Gold Filter cigarette and many brands of supari sachets in the lawn behind the sign board P5 parking lot.

What I found interesting was the studious employees cleaning the shed dry leaves to keep the environment clean. Chennai was hot though it was cloudy; I saw a gentleman sleeping in his Santro car (TN 09 AL 6147) keeping the Air Conditioner running on the battery near the Electrical Laboratory; Anna University is a place for the elite community.

The authority of Technical Education for Tamil Nadu needs care.

1 comment:

twinkle (Nadeera Anwar) said...

Thank You. I am a IInd year Bed Student of IGNOU I got many information from your blog.
Thank you so much.
-Nadheera Anwar, Adoor, Kerala.